Pulverizing of Tablets and Pills
The pulverizing of pills and tablets prior to analysis can be accomplished using either the GenoGrinder 2010 or the HT Homogenizer.
These two high throughput homogenizers can completely eliminate any manual processing of these samples. Pills and tablets can be processed
individually using 4 ml polycarbonate vials, or in batch using 15 ml vials (see Rat Feces Homogenization Protocol).
In either case, pills and tablets are homogenized dry using stainless steel grinding balls. The resulting product is a very fine powder.
- Homogenization can be performed using either the GenoGrinder 2010.
Each homogenizer can hold 24 Well Vial Sets (4 ml vials) and
15 ml Vial Sets. The HT Homogenizer having a capacity of one vial set and
the GenoGrinder 2010 having two vials, which can be expanded to four vials.
- One 4 ml vial can hold a single tablet or pill. Remove the cap from the vial and add the sample. The vial requires a single grinding balls (3/8" stainless steel) which are
supplied with the vial sets. When using replacement vials, either re-use existing grinding balls or obtain new balls. Replace the cap
and set the vial sets into their foam rack.
- Remove the lid of the vial set and place the vial set into the homogenizer. For the HT Homogenizer, adjust the latches on the
lid to it securely holds the vials. For the GenoGrinder 2010, place spacers on top of the vials so that they are secure when the lid in
clamped into place.
- Process the pills/tablets at 1200 rpm for 2 min. Remove the vials from the homogenizer. Grinding balls can be removed using
- Ground samples can be stored in the grinding vial until needed.
Pill before and after grinding
Tablet before and after grinding